May 1940- The congregation purchased the new church site on the corner of Granby and W.Belvedere Rd at a cost of $2200
1944- talks of starting a kindergarten were begun but because of transportation difficulties this plan had to be abolished for the time being. They chose to wait till they moved to the new building to start the school.
Sept 1944- ground was broken for the erection of the new Trinity Lutheran Church building on Granby.
Sept 9,1945- The dedication of the new building on Granby st.
Sept 1945- Daily sessions for 5 year olds began under the direction of Pastor Plawin. $1 per week was charged to help cover materials. 28 children made up the first Kindergarten class. The staff was made up of women from the congregation.
Nov 11,1945- The church celebrated its 25th year in existence.
1947- Small salaries (about $20 per month) were offered to the teachers that taught for the 1947-1948 school year. Many of the women had station wagons and they became the transportation or school buses for the children.
kindergarten class 1947
1950- Mrs Helen Everett joined the staff as head teacher under the direct supervision of Pastor and Principal Plawin.
April 27,1952- Pastor Plawin has a dedication service for the breaking ground on the new education wing of the building.
1956- Trinity Lutheran was air conditioned at a cost of $13,600.
Feb 24,1957- Pastor Plawin celebrated his 25th year as pastor
1960- The church was celebrating its 40th year and had grown from 10 charter members to 808 members.
May 19,1963- The new educational building/annex had been finished for a cost of $290,000 and was dedicated at this time. At this time the school consisted of three 5 year old groups, one 4 year old group, and one 3 year old group. In September they added the first 1st grade class consisting of 27 students.
October 24,1966- Pastor Plawin was called to his eternal home and Mrs. Helen Everett became acting Principal. At this time the school was 21 years in existence. He served Trinity Lutheran Church for 34 years.
1968- Helen Everett resigned and Mrs. Jane Upton was elected to be acting Principal. The first second grade was started this year by Cindy Claxson.
1969- George Weissinger was called to be a teacher and acting principal, teaching a combined class consisting of the first and second grades. The school year began with 212 students.
the school's chronological history
1970- the first third grade class was started. The school was celebrating 25 years in existence.
1971- Mr. Weissinger resigned and Pastor Bliese assumed the duties of Principal for the 71/72 school year. The school had 188 students that year.
1973- Mrs. Sharyn Leiding began the school's first hot lunch program
1974- Pastor Bliese left Trinity and Pastor Arthur Meyer was installed.
1975- Mrs. Jane Miller joined the Trinity Lutheran School staff.
1977- Mrs. Jane Miller became the Head teacher for the grades and Mrs. Gladys Plawin became Head teacher of the Preschool and Kindergarten classes. Mrs. Plawin had been the volunteer church secretary and had served as teacher of the four year old group for 26 years from 1955-1982 when she retired.
May 1977- Mrs. Powell became the kindergarten teacher and Edna Osborne and Ellen Wagner retired after thirty years of service to the school. Mrs. Osborne began teaching during the second year of the schools existence and Mrs. Wagner was one of the original teachers on the staff when the school started in 1945.
1978- No combo classes were held during this school year but the 4 year old participation dropped due to a new Public School program for 4yr olds.
1980- A second kindergarten class was added due to such a spike in enrollment.
1981- A second first grade teacher was hired
1986- The first 4th grade class was added.
1987- The first 5th grade class was added with the first graduation of the 5th grade in the spring of 1988.
Aug 1988- Mr. Dresser accepted the call to be the first full time Principal (with no teacher duties) and the first school secretary was hired. At this time the school had 2 six year old computers that were shared by the entire school body.
Fall 1990- The first extended care was offered with a before and after school program.
Summer of 1991- Mr. Dresser left the school and was replaced by Mr. Zielske. For the school year 1991/92 they did not have a 5th grade class because of decreased enrollment.
Fall 1992- The fifth grade was added back, the extended care began to grow in numbers. This year they also added a full day kindergarten program with the half day program continuing. This year they also added a full day 4 year old program.
1995- Trinity Lutheran Church celebrated its 75th anniversary and the school celebrated its 50th year.
2002- Mrs. Jane Miller retired from teaching after 27 years with Trinity. She came back the following year as a part time teacher of German and elementary chapel leader.
2002- Mrs. Sykes becomes the school administrator after being one of the head teachers. This marks 57 years after her father Pastor Paul Plawin started the school in 1945.
Sept 18,2003- Hurricane Isabel took down two huge trees that hovered over the front walkway at Trinity. The trees fell towards the front of the church and missed damaging the building by inches. The church and school thanked God for the protection of the building.
2004- Mrs Hughes leaves trinity for Law enforcement after 10 years of service.
2005- Mrs O'Connor leaves trinity after 21 years and is quoted saying "music makes beautiful children."
2007- Mrs Cordner and Mrs. Myers retire after multiple years of service with Trinity Lutheran School.
Feb 2009- Angel sculptures created from the downed tree trunks were installed and dedicated.
Dec 2009- Trinity Lutheran School was featured in the December Lutheran Witness, a National publication, for its Christian involvement in the Grand Illumination Parade in Norfolk. TLS has been walking in the Parade since 1995 as one of the only Christian Christmas floats thanks to the dedication of Sharon Plawin(another daughter of Pastor Paul Plawin- the original founder of Trinity Lutheran School and sister to the current Principal Judy Sykes).
Sept 2010- Marks the 65th anniversary of Trinity Lutheran School